***This review may contain spoiler***
Hi guys! How are you? Big news! The first episode of the seventh season of Game of Thrones was released in my country yesterday, 17 July 2017. Soooo… Let’s begin!
This episode began with a cold opening where we see a reverse Red Wedding.
A cold open (also called a teaser) in a television program or movie is the technique of jumping directly into a story at the beginning or opening of the show before the title sequence or opening credits are shown. On television, this is often done on the theory that involving the audience in the plot as soon as possible will reduce the likelihood of their switching from a show during the opening commercial. A cold open may also be used to recap events in previous episodes or storylines that will be revisited during the current episode.
At The Twins Arya Stark is posing as Walder Frey and served everyone poison. She killed all the male members of the House Frey, but made sure none of the women were killed.
In the first scene after opening credits we see the White Walkers marching to The Wall. The Night King‘ s army looked massive and… he had three giants in his army. Bran was watching them march to The Wall. Brandon Stark and Meera Reed, daughter of Howland Reed, arrived at the Black Castle and were welcomed by Eddison Tollett, the Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch.
The next scene is at Winterfell. Jon Snow is looking for dragon glass. Samwell Tarly will advice Jon to go to Dragonstone, because later in this episode Sam makes a pretty big discovery and sees exactly where all the dragon glass is – at Dragonstone. Also Jon tells Tormund Giantsbane that he needs the wildlings to go to Wall, more exactly they need to guard Eastwatch by the Sea. Sansa Stark and Jon have a disagreement about what to do with the Karstark and Umber castles.
Next we are at King’s Landing and we see Cersei Lannister and Jaime Lannister talking about how they are surrounded by enemies:
- at Est: Daenerys Targaryen and her army – Dragonstone
- at South: Ellaria Sand – Principality of Dorne
- at West: Olenna Tyrell of Harrenhal- Kingdom of the Isles and the Rivers
- at North: Jon Snow – Kingdom of the North.
Cersei has a new ally on the way, Euron Greyjoy. After Cersei declines his proposal Euron says he will be back with a priceless gift.
Next stop is at The Citadel where we pay a visit to Sam. He noticed a closed-off area in the library and he ends up taking the keys and grabbing some books without permission.
In the next scene we get our first Ed Sheeran cameo as a Lannister soldier. It’s a funny scene.
Next scene we go way up North and get our first glimpse of the Brotherhood without banners and Sandor ‘The Hound’ Clegane.
In the last scene we finally see Daenerys Targaryen arriving at Dragonstone.
- Interesting facts:
- This episode title is Dragonstone and refers to the ancestral homeland of House Targaryen, both the island and the castle which is its ruling seat. Also, this episode marks the first time Daenerys has set foot on Westeros soil in either media since she fled the continent shortly after her birth when she and her brother were smuggled to Essos. The location of her landing, Dragonstone, a former Targaryen island stronghold, was also where she was born shortly after Robert Baratheon overthrew the Targaryens.
- Despite House Lannister being the new royal house the opening credits still have the stag sigil of House Baratheon over King’s Landing.
- Emilia Clarke moves back ahead of Kit Harrington in the Opening Credits after he moved ahead in the final two episodes of the Sixth Season.
- There is a new region added to the opening theme sequence: Oldtown.
- There are two new characters: Alys Karstark and Ned Umber.
- Jaime is wearing the sword Widow’s Wail.
- When Jaime and Cersei are speaking of all their enemies, Cersei states she is Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, to which Jaime retorts that its three at best.
- When Sam is looking through the books he stole from the restricted section, before he flips to the page about the dragon glass mines on Dragonstone, we see a page with a picture of a Valyrian steel dagger. Maybe on that page is written the way the Valyrian steel is made.
- Director: Jeremy Podeswa
- Writers: (created and written for television by) David Benioff, (created and written for television by) D.B. Weiss, (based on “A Song of Ice and Fire” by) George R.R. Martin.
- Cast (Episode cast overview in credits order):
- Plot summary:
Arya makes her way south. Jon organizes the defense of the North. Cersei tries to even the odds. Sam adapts to his new life in Oldtown. Daenerys comes home.
- New intro:
Video credits: vincent aupic
- Genres: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance
- Release date: 16 July 2017 (in USA); 17 July 2017 (in Romania)